Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Hippernicus

So, starting a new blog.

I'm just going to fill it with what occurs to me and links to things that I don't want to lose, quotes et al. I don't think I'll be talking about anything personal.

The name is due to one of my user names somewhere being hippo-related. I don't have a particular thing about hippos, btw: I wouldn't want people thinking I did, cos that would lead to all Christmas presents and birthday presents being soft toy hippos, china hippos and pictures of hippos.

That would be dreadful!

I knew an old lady who people believed had a great fondness for cats, and since they couldn't think of anything else to get her, all she ever got was cat-related. She did like cats, I grant you, but I feel not as much as all that... Not that I'm an old lady, but I will be one day, and I don't want to be forever saddled with a reputation for liking everything and anything hippoish.

I just chose the name hippo because it seemed like a good idea at the time. It could have been anything - got it?! :D

I do like the various senses I can draw from the name of this blog,

  • hippo-pernicious. Pernicious is such a great word. :D
  • a blend of hippo-Copernicus (if only I was that smart!)
  • and hippo-knickers :P.

No comments: