Saturday, January 21, 2006

Scary beliefs, scary believers

There was a thread on a forum I frequent recently that caused one of the posters (D) on there to leave briefly, and her basic comment about it was that the lunatics have taken over the asylum. And on reading the thread, I can see what she meant. She is a sceptic, as am I.

I absolutely do not get how people can believe such stuff. It frightens me that they can.

It was about the paranormal and how someone believes their child can channel spirits. They were asking for ways to protect the child. D posted a different take on the situation and she was told she was being sanctimonious and that basically she was stifling their beliefs, I think. "Help, help, I'm being oppressed!" [/Monty Python]

I suppose it's hard for people to tell the difference sometimes.

But when you post somewhere that is not entirely peopled by believers, you will get opposing views and other ways of looking at things. No point getting shirty about it.

I don't understand the belief, it is so alien to me. Apparently those who don't "feel" these things don't have open minds, according to someone on the thread.

Which brings to mind, dear old Groucho: "Now there's a man with an open mind - you can feel the breeze from here!"

I didn't want to resurrect the thread, so I didn't contribute.

No comments: