Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Last night we watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang on DVD, with Robert Downey Jnr (nice that he could stay out of jail long enough to make a film ;) :P) and Val Kilmer. I feel kind of ambivalent about it.

IMDB's plot summary says this:
"A petty thief (Downey) posing as an actor is brought to Los Angeles for an unlikely audition and finds himself in the middle of a murder investigation along with his high school dream girl (Monaghan) and a detective (Kilmer) who's been training him for his upcoming role..."

It was a tongue-in-cheek detective thriller. One of the main problems with it, I found, was that I didn't really like Downey's character. He was pretty unlikeable throughout and so it was hard to care about what happened to him or the other characters. He became slightly more likeable towards the end, (but I'd been toying with the idea of playing the computer part-way through, and only didn't cos I was supposed to be spending the evening with M, not the PC :D). Kilmer was alright.

I didn't like the plot device that had the female heroine's sister as a child abuse victim. I felt the tongue-in-cheek style of the film didn't fit with that kind of subject involved at all. If it hadn't been for that, I would have enjoyed the film more, I think.

No comments: