Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Pirates and Tom Cruise.

In the cinema, last weekend, I saw Pirates of The Caribbean 2.

Oh, it was fun. :D Johnny Depp channeling Keith Richards as Cap'n Jack Sparrow is bliss. I like a man in mascara. It was a rip roar rollicking rampant roistering roller-coaster of a film, (and all things beginning with r :D). I loved all the large rolling devices the characters had to fight in/escape from, such as a water-wheel and cages made of bones, bones, human bones, I tell ye. Arrrr. Aharrrr. Avast ye, foul sea-dogs. Yo ho.

It's nice to see that actor from This Life making out alright in films: I think he played Miles and he plays the commodore in Pirates. I refuse to look up his actual name, that would be making any readers' lives too easy. :P



M insisted on renting out War Of the Worlds with Tom Cruise last night, which I have not wanted to see. M has for ages, but in the face of my resistance, rented other things. However, he brought it home eventually.

I felt sure it would be pants, as first of all, it has Tom Cruise in it. He is an actor I don't particularly like, partially because I think he's always been a bit of a pretty face rather than good actor. He's not such a pretty face anymore and I'm starting to think he ought to be giving up action roles, leaving it to the younger guys. I'm terrible, I know. Ageist! Also, in all honesty, because I have been swayed by the press reaction to his leaping about on sofas, beating his chest about lurrrveeee (How very unruly and exuberant. Not quite cricket, there, old chap). Not to mention his, erm, dubious views on mental health, accompanied by his scientology.

I take dislikes to actors quite easily: I don't like Richard Gere, Christian Slater, Michael Douglas, Kevin Costner or Mel Gibson either. I could probably think of some more if you give me time. :D I might watch their films, but wouldn't choose to see them specifically.

The other and more relevant reason I didn't want to watch it, was because the story of War of the Worlds has been done to death. They don't even have the excuse of remaking it just because they have better technology for special effects now: Independence Day was plainly a re-working of the story.

Anyway, although the special effects were good, they fouled up the story, the protagonist was unlikeable, the ending was pat. What?! The son survived obliteration and got to Boston ahead of them?! It is just total Hollywood-we-can't-have-a-sad-part-to-the-ending. Piffle.

And that's my considered review. Apologies to those who liked it. :D

1 comment:

Mephitis said...

Yes, I'm looking forward to the sequel too. :D