Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Reading: Compulsion

I finished Compulsion by Keith Ablow (I could make some jokes about *that* name, but I'll resist: they wouldn't be that funny anyway :D).

It was OK, but I found the narrative voice very resistible: he was a shrink whose work in forensic psychology (and his childhood) had screwed him up - and he was so self-absorbed I wanted to give him a kick. I didn't feel anything for him in his so-called "struggles" against alcoholism, drug abuse and "falling in love" with every woman he saw, virtually. He didn't seem to struggle very hard and he just seemed very smug. Blah.

I did care enough to read to the end to find out who the killer was, but I had guessed the twist quite early on. Anti-climactic.

I won't be running out to borrow any more of his. :D

No comments: