Wednesday, August 16, 2006

T is for Tests

We had an appointment for T at the hospital, as an out-patient. It was at 2.30 but we didn't get seen for over an hour. But that was OK, T was quite happy playing with all the cars and other toys in the well-kitted out play area. I sort of wished I'd brought a book, after a while, but then it was probably better to play with him (looks better, y'know ;) :P). S stayed with my step-dad while we were there.

He was weighed and measured and found wanting. Well, he was doing alright for height and head size, but his weight is still 'cause for concern'.

Gah.

So the doctor wanted to get his blood tested. Partly to confirm (or deny) his dairy allergy - although if the results come back negative, it doesn't actually mean he doesn't have an allergy, all it will mean is he might not, as we have been cutting all cow-juice out of his diet as per the dietician's instructions. This means his blood may not have the antibodies or whatever it is active at the moment. #Sigh# So it may be inconclusive anyway.

But that's negative of me. Hopefully we'll have an answer one way or the other, and they're going to test it for hen-fruit allergy too.

Anyway the whole blood-letting was horrendous and the poor chap was most upset, as was I (although I was playing the part of cheerleader and jolly-along-mummy).

But in more anxiety-inducing doctorly desire for checking out everything, they want to do a sweat test in order to look for cystic fibrosis. Which is one serious diagnosis. :(

I didn't really react when she said it, cos I didn't/don't think it is likely at all, I took it in the spirit of "They're just checking things out, being thorough." But even though I don't really think there's much wrong with him, I've now got this creeping fear.

Doubt, where did you sneak in? Why did you sneak in?

It's unlikely, very unlikely - it's just the combination of a couple of wheezing episodes plus slow weight gain. My sensible head thinks he's healthy enough, just a bit smaller than the average boy. But but but...

1 comment:

Mephitis said...

Thanks. :)

It'd be lovely to see Abby, if you can spare her. :D