Saturday, September 16, 2006

3 sand-in-my-socks things

No. 1

I feel irritated by the Christadelphian hoarding that says:
"Israel - the centre of the world!
Why?
Because it is God's solution"

Not because of the religious/political message particularly, although I have questions about that. But because it feels like a bunch of non-sequiturs and assumptions. Actually maybe it is the religious/political message :D. I like a good old biblical quote on churchy hoardings. You know where you are with that kind of thing.

I suppose their advert has worked in that I'm thinking about their church and wondering about it, but I'm not sure they wanted to create a slightly sand-in-my-socks kind of feeling. Or maybe they did. Who knows, who dares to dream?

No.2

"Free stress test" stalls.

These seem very misleading to me. I recognise them for what they are, I know where the Dianetics books come from, I just wonder whether everyone does.

When does the word Scientology get mentioned? Perhaps straight away, maybe I'm unwarrantedly suspicious :D. No-one has ever tried to stop me from those stalls, not since I was at university, and in those days I would toss them in my horns like a bull (metaphorically, obviously :D. And more realistically, just laugh and walk on). I guess I don't fit the profile now.

No.3 (an old one)

The old lady, who just after the disaster of the Boxing Day tsunami, had a sandwich board declaring that it was the result of god's vengeance for the sex trade in children. That pissed me off on soooo many levels, which I won't bother to explain as I'm trying to keep this short. It still gives me sand-in-socks irritation.

But I couldn't have confronted her about it, because she was old and fragile-looking so I wouldn't want to upset her. Is being old a get-out clause? :D (It seems to be with me).

No comments: