Thursday, September 21, 2006

Sometimes you lose your way

I had a moment of clarity last night, about my parenting.

It's easy to get caught up in a conflict, and actually equally easy to step away from it. The hard part is seeing the step away. There are no "concealed exit" signs.

The children were reluctant to eat their tea and wanting to give up, but by changing tack I managed to get them to eat the majority of their meals and dessert as well (not that it's usually hard to get them to eat that! :D) I was so pleased with myself and so surprised, but it's plain where I've been going wrong.

I should blame myself for when things slide, because it's me that lets it happen. It's hard trying to be "up" and enthusiastic & playful when you're tired and depressed, but it just shows the difference.

It IS all about me. :D

Or at least how I tackle things has a huge effect on the outcome.

I have these moments from time to time: I know what I need to do, it's just sustaining the effort.

No comments: