Friday, October 06, 2006

Homemade or shop-bought?

Everyone else seemed to have shop-bought costumes at S's school today. (I realise the shop is rather redundant, but writing "seemed to have bought" didn't work too well. I guess I should/could phrase it entirely differently, but rabbiting about why I wrote it gives me a nice tangent to colour green).

I had been sort of pleased with myself for being good mum and having made hers, and then as I came away from the school seeing all the pirates and princesses, I felt maybe I hadn't done the right thing. Maybe she'll stand out too much? Maybe we'll look poor?

Hopefully they're still too young for that kind of rubbish.

We don't have the spare cash to buy a costume at the moment anyway, and she's pretty much outgrown most of her dress-up outfits. And she wanted to go as Peter Pan.

I feel stupidly anxious about this. I always seem to get it wrong: I make lots of effort, everyone else seems to turn up in shop-bought stuff. I go to very little effort, as with the Easter bonnet parade, and everyone else looks like they spent weeks making these amazing contraptions.

Argh! Big hairy nadgers!

2 comments:

Greg said...

I trust all went well. I'm sure she looked great and was probably dead chuffed that she was wearing something you'd made rather than some shop-bought thing.

Mephitis said...

Thanks. :)

I think she was happy enough. I hope so.

When I picked her up, I noticed there were some others in homemade outfits too, which made me feel better about it. I must've been caught up in a wave of posh costume people in the morning :).