Monday, July 23, 2007

Find yourself a big laydeee

I'm not sure how I feel about Mika. On the one hand, his music is very catchy and cheerful and I will sing along, much to the consternation of anyone within earshot that I hadn't realised could hear me. On the other, it's rather cheesy. Not that cheesy is always a bad thing, I suppose.

I'm also not sure how to take his latest single "Big Girl (You are beautiful)": whether it is a celebration of the more Rubenesque among us or whether it's a trifle patronising. You wouldn't get a single about over-weight blokes going "Lardy-boy, you are attractive too (in the right light)". Not that it scans particularly well, but you know what I mean!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's just a cheerful catchy song. I don't want to analyse it too much. I think the video shows lots of fun-loving women, all not size 0, which cheers me up for some reason. I might not be taking it seriously enough. Abster xx

Mephitis said...

It's cheerful alright. :D