Sunday, September 02, 2007

Book Recommendations

I have an Amazon wishlist to which I usually add books I hear good things about (or classics that I feel I ought to have read). I intend to read them all at some point, however, I rarely actually look at the list or remember the books when out and about. I deliberately avoid going on Amazon if truth be told, in case I start spending money. So I thought that this is a safe (as in cheap!) place to record them and hopefully keep them in mind more.

There is also the faint hope that any visitors to this blog may wish to recommend a book to me in comments on this post, so knock yourselves out!

Mistakes were made (but not by me) (Carol Tavris & Elliot Aronson) Recommended to everyone (not me particularly!) by Greta C
Wide Sargasso Sea (Jean Rhys)
Of Mice And Men (Steinbeck)
The English Patient (Michael Ondaatje)
Les Miserables (Hugo)
The Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck)
The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas)
The Red Tent (Anita Diamant)
The Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger)
Non Serviam (Stanislav Lem)
Cultural Amnesia (Clive James)
Earth Song Native Tongue 3: Native Tongue 2 (Elgin)
Contact (Carl Sagan)
Why People Believe Weird Things (Michael Shermer & Stephen Jay Gould)
Voyages Through Time: In the Beginning (Peter Ackroyd)
The Illuminatus!: Trilogy (Robert Shea & Robert Anton Wilson)
The Blind Watchmaker (Richard Dawkins)
Foucault's Pendulum (Umberto Eco)
Sophie's Choice (Styron)
All Fun and Games Till Somebody Loses an Eye (Christopher Brookmyre)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I recommend "Restless" by William Boyd. I have to read it for my novel writing course, but I totally want to do it, too. Abster xx