Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Rumination

In retrospect, I think it's not such a laughing matter, that atheist meme. I was a bit shocked by the rather juvenile point-scoring that "hardcore" atheists are supposed to do, but it's been playing on my mind since. To the extent that it's just a joky frivolous internet meme, that's fine, but otherwise it's a bit sad-making to think that it comes out of genuine experience. If it's rooted in fact that atheists in the US can risk being beaten up or losing their jobs over their atheism, it makes the sometimes strident and chip-on-shoulder attitude (that you can see online particularly) that much more understandable. I think I would feel oppressed in such an environment.

I'm very grateful to live in a mostly secular society. Hurrah. I may get all patriotic yet.

No comments: