Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Musical motoring

Subject: The Renault Clio advert that features a beardie chap who is singing along to Chesney Hawkes' "I am the one and only". He then meets the father of his girlfriend, who turns out to be the disapproving driver that saw him pratting around at the traffic lights.

The tag-line is "Life is too short to be boring".

Oh get on! If singing along to Chesney blue-pencilled Hawkes isn't boring, I don't know what is! There's nothing inherently boring about singing along to music, but it's scarcely living on the edge.


But this version where he's doing claw-hands and mad faces to the Cranberries' "Zombie", well, that's funnier. And you could see why that would be embarrassing. The Chesney Hawkes one is so mild, it doesn't work for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you've got to assume that the payoff comes because the father in law type figure is supposed to be utterly boring, someone who would never sing along to music in the car.

And I love that Chesney Hawkes song, it's one of my all time favourites of all time. Abster.

Mephitis said...

Oh, don't get me wrong, I do like the song - it's the finest cheese. But the idea of Hawkes himself sets my teeth on edge. Him and Rick Astley.

Although I can't listen to Astley without rage. I have to switch him off. His presence puts me off buying 80s compilations. Oh yes, I hate Rick Astley in a bizarre and irrational way... I daresay he's a lovely fellow.