Sunday, November 24, 2013

Helpful net

Sometimes I wonder why people bring their problems to the internet and think they are foolish for doing so. But actually I have found it useful myself.

For quite a while, a male colleague had been gradually pushing my personal boundaries by touching me and saying flirty things. None of it was hugely awful but it was getting worse and it was distressing me daily. Telling my partner was a good way to vent but didn't motivate me to confront the problem.

It was only when I moaned online to friends that I came to the point of addressing the situation, because I didn't want to be the person who complains but does nothing. I got validation and advice, and I knew I had to act on it. I took my courage in my hands and told him to stop. And he has. No more unwanted surprise neck-rubs.

Sigh. If only I had realised it was that simple to stop him.

Not that he should have been doing those things in the first place.

No comments: